Overclockers Tech - Forums!
Overclockers Tech - Forums!

Go Back   Overclockers Tech - Forums! > Hardware > The Water Cooling forum

Old 01-11-11, 02:46 AM   #1
Zee33

Default PC Water coolant chemistry a good read

Um , I'm not sure if I can post this or not but I found a Article on the properties of coolants for Liquid Cooling Computers . It breaks down and explains everything about the metals you have in a loop , what corrodes other metals , and a lot of things .

It's a long read but very informative . It can be found here: http://www.overclockers.com/pc-water...istry-part-ii/

See what you think of it and from the article , what you would use . Distilled water is a given . Also Silver added has been suggested before as well as not to use dyes . Well give it a read and you'll see what I mean .
Old 01-11-11, 10:17 AM   #2
Martin.day
OCT Member
Martin.day's System

Martin.day is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Martin.day

Yeah everyone on OCN Advises useing distilled water and silver coil over any colured fluid,

But if your wanting colure go for thermochills EC6 best stuff on the market

Water Cooling Sponsered By Overclockers Tech.
Martin.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 11:15 AM   #3
Squirrel-666

Squirrel-666 is on a distinguished road

ive ran red and blue ec6(not together) and must say didnt get any problems nor did i get any build up when i was using feser one
i am now using mayhems Ultra Pure H20 with a kill coil the way i see it is if you want colour get coloured tubing
if i ever went back to coloured water then it will be mayhems dyes throu and throu.
VIDEO: EVGA GTX 460 SC(Soon To Be A 570)
HDD(s): 2X 500GB WD CAVIER
ODD: DVD-RW/CD-RW
PSU: SILVERSTONE STRIDER 700W
COOLER: NOISEBLOCKER TWINTEC CPU COOLER
CASE: LANCOOL K62 SPRAYED WHITE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Squirrel-666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 11:59 AM   #4
Zee33

As for myself , I do not plan on colored water at all . I was looking more at the ph level additives and a Kill coil . I'd like to use the silver coil in the reservoir but am afraid of it bouncing around , making noise and possibly scratching the reservoirs .
Old 01-11-11, 01:25 PM   #5
Squirrel-666

you could put it in the tubing before the res like i have done but i do know some one who has it in his res and doesnt get any problems,scratches noise etc.

Old 01-11-11, 03:21 PM   #6
Bry
Bry's System

Bry is on a distinguished road

I used to run Feser coloured coolant, in the process of moving it all over to distilled water with Silver coils and coloured tubing.

Bry.

Loop 1
Watercool HEATKILLERŪ CPU Rev3.0 1366 Full Copper Block | Thermochill PA120.3

Loop2
Currently redesigning!!

Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 07:53 PM   #7
hokiealumnus
Tech Support Guy
hokiealumnus's System

hokiealumnus World domination is this persons game. Can use a blue or red lightsaberhokiealumnus World domination is this persons game. Can use a blue or red lightsaberhokiealumnus World domination is this persons game. Can use a blue or red lightsaberhokiealumnus World domination is this persons game. Can use a blue or red lightsaberhokiealumnus World domination is this persons game. Can use a blue or red lightsaberhokiealumnus World domination is this persons game. Can use a blue or red lightsaberhokiealumnus World domination is this persons game. Can use a blue or red lightsaberhokiealumnus World domination is this persons game. Can use a blue or red lightsaberhokiealumnus World domination is this persons game. Can use a blue or red lightsaberhokiealumnus World domination is this persons game. Can use a blue or red lightsaberhokiealumnus World domination is this persons game. Can use a blue or red lightsaber

I'll only ever use distilled plus either PT Nuke PHN or a kill coil and all copper, brass or nickel.

That article had great information, but remember it's from 2004. A lot has changed since then and most of those additives aren't necessary. Al will never find its way in my loops, so no need for an anti-corrosion additive either. Take that away and assuming you are going to run above 0°C, you never need to use anything but distilled + biocide.

My $.02.
Old 01-11-11, 08:00 PM   #8
Zee33

Well I think I found exactly what I'm going to use . Primochill PC Pure with the Utopia additive and as Squirrel has suggested , put the kill coil in the return line before the reservoirs . Not using any dye , no way no how .
Old 01-11-11, 09:42 PM   #9
Squirrel-666

dont use primochill bud go for Mayehms Ultra Pure H20 its alot better and dont nned biocide etc as the kill coil does it im using it and not had a problem

Old 01-11-11, 09:45 PM   #10
Zee33

oh ok....I was looking for the mayhems but can't find it at a retailer here in the U.S. so actually am back to distilled water and just the silver kill coil . As hokiealumnis stated , the other stuff is only nessessary if mixing the metals is in the loop . All copper and brass loops so oxidation shouldn't be a factor and the silver will kill the bacteria .

Last edited by Zee33; 01-11-11 at 10:01 PM.